Exercise 2: Präsens of modal verbs
(Practise conjugating German modal verbs in the Präsens)
Verb forms of modal verbs – cloze test
Difficulty: medium (3 of 5)
Fill the gaps with the correctly conjugated forms of the modal verbs given in brackets. They must all be in the Präsens indicative (present tense). Pay attention to the grammatical person in which the sentence is written.
- Example: „Ihr _____ den Hund gerne streicheln. Er beißt nicht.“ (können) → „Ihr könnt den Hund gerne streicheln. Er beißt nicht.“
You can check your results with the button below after you have finished. You may also use the hint button, but note that you will lose points for that. If you still need help with the topic, reread the explanation about the Präsens of German modal verbs.
Further exercises and explanations relating to the ‘German modal verb forms’
The following exercises and explanations are related to the topic ‘Conjugation of the German modal verbs in the Präsens’:
- Modal verbs in German grammar
- The person in German grammar
- The grammatical mood (indicative, conjunctive, imperative)
- Exercise 1: formation of ‘haben, werden, sein’ in the Präsens
- List of exercises on German verb tenses