Exercise 2: syntax and word order
(Practise the English word order and syntax)
Syntax and word order – multiple-choice test
Difficulty: rather easy (2 of 5)
Choose the correct word order (syntax) for the given sentence parts.
- Example: ‘ate | last week | Michelle | a pizza | at a restaurant’
- A. At a restaurant ate last week Michelle a pizza.
- B. Michelle ate a pizza at a restaurant last week. → Correct!
- C. Last week Michelle ate at a restaurant a pizza.
If you still need help with the topic, take another look at the explanation on English word order.
- watches | Melissa | all the time | TV
- Melissa watches TV all the time.
- Melissa watches all the time TV.
- TV all the time Melissa watches.
- the bus | to work | every day | he takes
- He takes the bus to work every day.
- He takes every day the bus to work.
- He takes the bus every day to work.
- have you | Tom | seen | today | at the gym | ?
- Have you seen Tom at the gym today?
- Have you seen at the gym Tom today?
- Have you today seen Tom at the gym?
- every Wednesday | poker | they play | at the casino
- Every Wednesday they play poker at the casino.
- Every Wednesday they play at the casino poker.
- They play poker every Wednesday at the casino.
- your sister | I met | at the shopping centre | yesterday
- I met your sister at the shopping centre yesterday.
- I met your sister yesterday at the shopping centre.
- I met yesterday your sister at the shopping centre.
Exercises and explanations referring to ‘English syntax and word order’
The following exercises and articles are related to the topic ‘Word order and syntax in English sentences’ and train your skills too: