Exercise 1: question words in English
(Practise making questions with ‘how, where, when, what, which’)
English question words – cloze test (difficulty: 2 of 5 – rather easy)
Fill the gaps with the appropriate question words (how, where, when, what, which). Pay attention to the upper case spelling at the beginning of a sentence.
- Example: “Where do you live?” – “I live in Madrid.”
You can check your results with the button below after you have finished. If you still need help with the topic, have another look at the use of question words. The hint button helps you if required, but note that you will lose points for that.
Further exercises and explanations related to ‘English question words’
The following exercises and explanations are related to the grammar topic ‘Question words (what, why, who …) in English grammar’ and also train your skills:
- Relative pronouns in English (who, which, that, whose, whom)
- Relative adverbs in English (when, where, why)
- Interrogative sentences in English syntax
- Question tags
- Exercise 1: question tags
- List of exercises about tricky topics