Exercise 3: long/short forms of auxiliary verbs
(Practise the contractions of auxiliary verbs)
Short and long forms – multiple-choice test
Difficulty: rather easy (2 of 5)
Choose the corresponding long form (not shortened) of the contracted auxiliary verb given in the sentence.
- Example: “He’ll come back soon.”
- A. shall
- B. will → Correct!
- C. will not
If you still need help with the topic, look atagain.
- He’d bought the bike before.
- They won’t send the letter by air mail.
- will not
- would not
- want not
- We can’t afford a new car at the moment.
- can not
- could not
- Peter is an honest person. He’d tell you the truth.
- Susie’s reading an interesting book.
Exercises and explanations related to ‘Contractions of English auxiliaries’
The following exercises and explanations refer to the topic ‘Long and short forms of auxiliary verbs in English grammar’ and test your knowledge too: