Exercise 4: past simple
(Practise conjugating and using the past simple)
Past simple of irregular verbs – cloze test (difficulty: 4 of 5 – rather difficult)
Fill the gaps with the correct simple past form of the irregular verbs in brackets. If ‘not’ is given, you must negate the verb accordingly. Do not use short or contracted forms.
- Example: “Sergio ______ his final exam last Friday.” (take) → “Sergio took his final exam last Friday.”
You can check your results with the button below after you have finished. If you still need help with the topic, look at the use & formation of the past simple again. You may also use the hint button, but note that you will lose points for that.
Further exercises and explanations relating to the ‘Past simple’
The following exercises and explanations relate to the topic ‘Past simple of English irregular verbs’ and help you too:
- Formation and verb forms of the past simple
- Verb forms of auxiliary verbs in the past simple
- Exercise 1: conjugating ‘to be’ in the past simple
- List of exercises about past tenses